Thursday, July 23, 2009

Dogs and kids


In a lot of ways I think having a dog is good practice for having a child. If I'm tired, he still needs attention. If I don't feel well, he still needs to play. If I've had a long day, he doesn't know the difference and still needs my attention. Rain or shine, he needs exercise. He loves me and comforts me. He holds me together when I need it and leaves me alone when I need that. He makes me laugh and he makes me cry. Different than a child, he is the first real "thing" that L and I have had together. Nothing will change that. Everyday I see and experience the love that we pour into our friend. Our future children will be so loved. Not only by L and I, but by our wonderful Rex.

2 comments:

  1. I love this picture!

    Yes, having a dog is the best practice for children. I've said it and have heard it said many times by people with children. Dogs are awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only difference is there will be days where you will wonder why you didn't just keep buying dogs instead of having children...Those little ankle-biters can be tough!

    ReplyDelete