Monday, April 11, 2011

To work or not to work

If I hadn't taken the rest of the school year off, today would have been my first day back at work. I can't even imagine it.
Ironically though, I'm bringing Michael in to school tomorrow of my own accord to meet all my teacher friends. There is so much drama going on there right now, half of me wishes I was there every day to keep up on the gossip, but part of me wants to run for the hills, laughing all the way.
Its the only place I've ever taught, that crappy little craphole. I did a lot of subbing before I got the job there, but this has been it for the last eight years. My school. My kids. My staff to work with. And as much as I complain, the idea of teaching somewhere else is quite scary.
Being the music teacher in a school system that can't pass their standardized tests means that no one really gives a rat's ass what I do, so long as I show up and don't beat the kids with a drum stick. I know this sounds awful (and really it is because there is no curriculum or accountability for my students musically) but it means for me that I can do *whatever I want*. I can teach what I want, when I want, how I want. Which is super nice for me and my kids (even though they don't get grades, which isn't my fault). I really do like my kids. They are colorful and unique and there really is never a dull moment.
What if I go to a new school where they want me to teach something I don't know? That's my big concern. What if the kids actually know music and know the stuff better than me? What if the parents actually care about what goes on and they call me complaining about things? I have interacted with parents maybe ten times in the last eight years. And then totally unrelated, but very related, what about the Beaner? What will become of him if I'm off actually working all day (regardless of where it is)?
So that's where I'm at with that.
"Dream on, dream on, dream until your dreams come true." ~ Aerosmith

1 comment:

  1. That's super great you could take the rest of the school year off.

    He is suchhhh a cutie! :)

    ReplyDelete