Monday, August 31, 2009

On the flip side

I wrote an entry a few weeks back entitled, "Things I Love", so of course there must be something to be said about things I don't like. Things that really, really get under my skin, make my skin crawl, or some other sort of skin thing.

1. *Eating with people who insist on counting every mother loving calorie that goes into their mouth* This is huge for me for a few reasons. Mostly it is because I love food and when I eat with someone who won't eat or talks about how fattening the food is, makes me feel like a fatty. I grew up feeling like a fatty and it is not a feeling that I welcome or enjoy. Here's the thing, food is good. Food is tasty. Eating a piece of cake, or a piece of bread, or the whole sandwich instead of half, or a handful of potato chips isn't going to kill you. However, eating a piece of cake everyday, or the entire bag of potato chips might. As long as you know when to stop eating, and most people do, I think you are in the clear. ~As a disclaimer, most of you know that I am married to someone who, partly, fits into the category. L has lost a tremendous amount of weight in the last several years, and he does not want to go back to where he was, lifestyle or health wise. Therefore, he goes to the gym 5 days a week and watches what he eats. Does it bug me? Sometimes, especially since he won't really let me cook for him, but he's not nearly as nuts as other people I know.

2. *Mosquitoes* I've talked to several people about this throughout this summer. The mosquito population seems to have quadrupled this year. I love nature and all its beauty, but I don't understand mosquitoes. What is their purpose? What do they do other than buzz in your ear, carry disease, and bite your arms and legs and neck and ankles... Anything that eats mosquitoes eats other insects as well, so certainly no one would suffer if they went missing. Do you know that on several occasions this summer I slapped a mosquito on my arm and blood spurted out? Is that my blood or the mosquitoes? Or even worse, is it the blood of the last schmoe he bit? Gross.

3. *Tall people who insist on wearing high heels* I want to look up at them and yell, "Seriously, I get it, you're tall!" They can take their high heels that look so nice with their knee length skirt and kiss my short ass.

4. *Animals doing tricks* There's a show on Animal Planet called "Pet Stars". It seriously makes my stomach turn. Dogs, cats, parrots, pot bellied pigs, horses and anything else should A) Not be dressed in clown-type costumes and B) Not be dancing, singing, talking, counting or anything else that a 5 year old human could do. Dogs enjoy your company and chase balls, pot bellied pigs eat and snort, horses run and cats do, whatever it is that cats do.

5. *People who waste my time and/or think I am an idiot* If you are going to have a 5 hour workshop for your staff, put all of your staff members into account and think how best to utilize the time. Or, if you are too lazy to do this, at least let the people who are not going to benefit from the workshop go and do something they will benefit from. Contrary to popular belief, the "specials" teachers do have a ton of work to do and would really love someday to sit in a 5 hour workshop that actually pertains to us.
I don't really believe people think I am an idiot. I do, however, think people talk without thinking sometimes. This is all people, no one in particular. I believe that everyone's opinion matters and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and all that. Just because you do not agree with my opinion does not make it any less valid or important as yours. I believe this to be a very American view. Everyone is entitled to feel how they feel, say what is on their mind, live the way they want to live, and being able to talk and discuss and debate. Having a discussion about differing opinions is a wonderful thing. Just don't put me, or anyone else, down because our opinions don't match up.

No comments:

Post a Comment