Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The World Series

I never would have thought I'd be married to a sports guy. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with sports guys, or sports people in general. But the thing is, there were no sports in our house growing up. I mean, I played basketball for a while (we never won a game) and my sister played softball for a bit, but no sports in the house really. My father wouldn't know baseball from basketball from golf. I don't think he has the patience for it. And because my dad wasn't into sports, my brother never got into it.
But now here I find myself, pretending to care about the World Series, when really I'm just pissed that "Glee" isn't on. Thankfully, Gordo isn't one of those people who's world stops just because of sports. I don't think I could handle someone who needs to be home for The Game. *I can't, The Game is on.* But never the less, he's a Yankee fan and therefore we sit here and watch. And much to my surprise, I do know almost all of the players' names, and not just the famous ones and I understand how it works (it really isn't that confusing). Maybe I actually like this baseball thing. Maybe I just like to look at Derek Jeter.
I also find myself loving football. In high school I was in marching band (of course) which meant football games every fall weekend. But I didn't watch the football. I knew "Flag on the play", but I had no idea what it meant (I still don't, really). Since meeting Gordo, the fall means football. Our tickets come in the mail in mid-August and we get so excited. Our group of friends all call each other and discuss seats and parking and everyone gets pumped. The first few games I went to, I sat, didn't know what was going on and didn't really want to know. And then something happened somewhere in there and I got interested. I got standing up in my seat clapping and yelling interested. The second year that I went to the games I got my blue and white fuzzy hat and this year I got a knitted Uconn hat. Gordo and I have our own tailgate tote this year with all the necessities, and I am learning the ropes of being a good tailgate planner and cook.
So I'm married to a sports guy. And it looks like we might be a sports couple.

And I hope the Yankees win.

3 comments:

  1. This is great. I'm so not a sports fan either - yet here I am not into hockey, my husbands favorite. It really is fun to go to.

    I myself was a marching band nerd as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb says, I love that you are a sports fan, however I do not like what you have become. "A YANKEES FAN" I guess it goes with the I married into it life. I married a Giants fan and sort of converted into this - not so much a Patriots fan anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my hubby is an "i can't...the game is on" guy. Oh, well...I grew up in a sports house, so i guess i understand. I, however, do not like the yankees - even tho i married a yankee fan (and cowboy fan) whose dad is a giants fan. ick. Boston teams for me...all of them! At least we agree on UConn! - Ker

    ReplyDelete