Wednesday, December 9, 2009

It's the most wonderful time of the year!!


First snow day!! Woot woot!!

You know what I hate about the winter? Dry skin. Every year I dream of soaking in a bath tub full of body lotion or body cream. (Oh how I love body cream!! So thick and creamy!!) I feel like I put lotion in places that really shouldn't even need to be lotioned. Every year I get bruises on my calves from constantly scratching at the same place over and over.

But you know what I love about winter? Snow days. While you know there's a storm coming (from both the forcasters and the way kids/dogs/adults behave) it is like an early holiday gift, waking up in the morning not knowing if you need to actually get out of bed or not. Oh how I love that little blue scroll at the bottom of the screen! I sit, wide eyed at 5:45am waiting for the W's to come up. (All those St.'s really piss me off) I feel like a little kid. The new NBC30 commercials are spot on. Kids sitting in front of the TV in their pj's, dramatic looks of anticipation on their faces (and in the music) and then~boom~ they jump up, they hug and rejoice! No school! No school!

I am loving this week. What a wonderful thing to be able to say, by the way. I feel like I haven't been loving very many weeks lately. Snow day today (did I mention how exciting this is?), tonight we are trying out a new sushi place, which is hopefully going to be as awesome, tomorrow is just regular and whatever, Friday is our 4th grade place which will finally (thank you!!) going to be over with. Imagine the stress of being asked by the principal to put on a holiday play along with your co-workers, but only two of us really do any of the work and preparation, but everyone will get credit. Grr. Just one of the many reasons I hate that F-ing place. But regardless, it will be performed on Friday and really I think they will do a decent job despite the stress of my partner in crime and I. Then Saturday! Oh Saturday how I am looking forward to you!

Saturday we are getting a new doggie!! She is coming to us via Tennessee and I couldn't be happier. I will certainly write more about this in the coming days, but basically the homeless animal situation in the South is devastating. Therefore, in many cases dogs (and cats I suppose) are brought up to the Northeast in mobile kennels to be adopted. In the South, dogs (and cats I suppose) are rarely spayed and neutered, and therefore run rampid. There isn't enough room in the shelters for all of these animals, so many are put to sleep within 72 hours. But wonderful, loving people will foster them and advertise them on sites such as Petfinder, where wonderful, loving people like Gordo and I will call and inquire, and adopt them. So while there are great pets to adopt here in Connecticut, the situation in the South is a dire one. Not to mention the fact that many of the dogs (and cats I suppose) that are here in the Northeast came from the South to begin with. Rex is actually from Tenn. originally too!

But back to our new pup! She is a dachshund/terrier mix. She is 6 months old. She is about 15 pounds right now. She is cute as the day is long. Now, I know what you are thinking~ A substitute for what we have not been able to acquire in our lives. Honestly? Probably to certain extent. But truly, we've been talking about getting a second dog for quite a while. And maybe current personal circumstances have pushed us to do it a bit sooner than we may have planned. So what! I am so excited about this!! And I haven't been excited about anything in a really long time. Now we know I love my Rex. Love him, love him, love him. But Rex is not a lover. Rex is not a cuddler. Rex is a "I want to be in room with you and know that you are there for me, but please don't put your hands on me and I definitely don't want to lay on the couch and cuddle with you." Oh how I long for a dog who will cuddle with me. Let me lay my face into the crook of their fuzzy little neck. The foster mom said she was a cuddler and I was sold. And the little face! How could you not fall in love with a little dachshund/terrier mix face? I'm in love and I haven't even met her yet.

Oh, her current name is Bella, but we will try our damnedest to get her to respond to a new name (I won't tell yet!). My brother's bipolar Kujo/sweetheart of a Jack Russell is named Bella, and my partner in crime has a Pug named Bella. Too many Bellas.

Did I mention how much I love this week??

No comments:

Post a Comment