Sunday, March 28, 2010

Things you probably didn't want to know, but I'm going to tell you anyway

Classical music you need to hear even if you think you don't like classical music~
*Violin Concerto by Samuel Barber~ I can't tell you how much I love this piece of music. It gives me goosebumps, and hearing it live is an experience I will never forget.
*Pavane by Faure~ Again, goosebumps. It is beautiful.
*Variations for Clarinet and Orchestra by Rossini~ I'm biased, I guess because I play the clarinet and all. It's fast, it's slow. It's seductive and exciting. The last movement has always reminded me of jazz.
*Fantasia on Greensleeves by Ralph Vaughn Williams~ I love Christmas music and Greensleeves is no exception. A "fantasia" is like a variation. Its awesome.
*Cello Concerto by Dvorak~ Like the violin concerto, I heard this live and it was amazing. I wish I played a string instrument. They are breathtaking.

Albums you need to listen to. Because I said so.
*Abbey Road by The Beatles~ Its like a story from beginning to end. It shows signs of classical music all over and really shows the musical genius of these 4 men. A song is heard here, and then you hear melody lines from it in a totally different song. Genius, just genius.
*Red Light Blue Light by Harry Connick Jr.~ I love albums that you can love every single song and not just a few. This album is that. "Jill" is a beautiful song written about his wife. "If I could give you more" is my favorite. I love the solos.
*The Broadway Album by Barbra Streisand~ Barbra covering Broadway standards. I've had this album forever. Her versions of some of these songs were the first I ever heard of them. Love it.
*Crash by Dave Matthews Band~ In my opinion, Dave Matthews is one of the greatest songs writers ever. His lyrics are something everyone can relate to, and I think that is why every college student in the late 90's gravitated towards him. This is another album that is just brilliant, start to finish.
*Gordon by the Bare Naked Ladies~ I'd never heard of the BNL when my college boyfriend took me to see them at the Meadows. The only group who does a better live show than BNL is Dave Matthews. They are awesome. Gordon is a great album, "The Flag" is my favorite. Rock Spectacle is their live album, also amazing.

If I were on a deserted island I would need...
*My Ipod. ~Obviously.
*Rex. ~He'd protect me, keep me company and keep me laughing.
*My Birkenstocks. ~I've gotten a lot of shit over the years for my Birks, but let me tell you they are comfy. Plus it is really hard to walk in the sand in flip flops.
*My pillow. ~I could do without a blanket, but not without a pillow.
*Swedish Fish. ~I love me some gummy candies.

Things I want to do before I die~
*See a breeching humpback whale in person.
*Go back to Israel with my husband.
*See as many of the 50 states as I can.
*Have a job that I love, love, love.
*Sing karaoke.



No comments:

Post a Comment